PROBABILITY: High School
Based on Massachusetts Curriculum Frameworks for Mathematics, pp. 59-62 Grades 8-12 Learning Standards
- Probability Plaza -- Your one-stop center for lessons and activities in Probability - from introductory level to advanced! "This page is designed to teach students about probability in what we hope is a fun way. Within each of the first seven sections are various aspects of probability and combinatorics. The eighth and final section contains miscellaneous applets and interactive activities that tie together concepts from various lessons and conclude the learning experience."
- BBC Math Guru - Probability
- BBC Math Guru - Probability Distributions -- A
super series of modules on probability, including: Random Events, Addition Laws, Conditional Probability, Independence, Two or More Events, Discrete Random Variables, Expected Value
- Sample Spaces
- Empirical Probability
- Abstract Probability
- Hyperstat Online - Probability -- Great probability lessons, including: Simple probability, Conditional probability, Probability of A and B, Probability of A or B, Binomial distribution. The site also has several useful links to other probability sites.
- Probability -- Over a dozen tutorials on probability, including Intro to Probability, Sample Spaces, Independent Events, Conditional Probability, and many more!
Help - Math for Morons Like Us -- from the great ThinkQuest site: "On this page we hope to clear up problems you might have with probability and things related to it, such as factorials and sigma notation. Click any of the links below or scroll down to better your understanding of probability.
- Math Help - Probability Notebook -- Lessons and interactive practice with probability! The site includes a glossary of terms, and online quizzes.
- Intro to Probability -- From the "Ask Dr. Math" FAQ files, an introduction to the topic of probability.
- Introduction to Probability -- An overview and introduction to concepts in Probability.
Solutions -- Learn
about permutations and combinations here! Use the online helper application
to make computations, and see a "mini-lesson" on probability!
& Stats - Seeing is Believing -- A wonderfully organized site for students who want on-line math help! This site has lessons and examples for the following topics in probability & statistics : Probability Concepts, Random Variables, Discrete Probability Distributions, The Normal Distribution and Related Continuous Probability Distribution, Sampling Theory, Nonparametric Statistics.
Interactive -- A
series of interactive problems highlighting the fun and challenging world
of probability, permutations and combinations! Puzzles and problems include:
Monty Hall Dilemma, Three pancakes problem, Lewis Carroll's problem, Birthday
Coincidence, Bertrand's Paradox, Bear cubs problem, Pauling's joke, Probability
and Infinity, Simpson's paradox.
- Probability in the Real World -- From
the "Ask Dr. Math" FAQ files, a series of hypothetical scenarios from the "real world", and a discussion of probability in each scenario.
PRINCIPLE, PERMUTATIONS & COMBINATIONS
Principle: A series of sites
with great information on the Fundamental Counting Principle!
Combination & Counting Slide Show
- Fundamental Counting Principle
- Fundamental Counting Principle 2
Counting Principle 3
A series of sites
with great information on Permutations and Combinations!
Combination & Counting Slide Show
and Combinations ("Math for Morons")
3 ("Homework Help")
and Permutations -- From
the "Ask Dr. Math" FAQ files, an introduction to permutations.
- Permutations -- From
Canada's SchoolNet, a site full of examples and lessons on permutations!
Permutations -- Entertaining
FAQ from Dr. Math which seeks the truth about lottery odds!
and Combinations -- From
the "Ask Dr. Math" FAQ files, a discussion on the relationship between
permutations and combinations
GAMES, APPLETS and DEMONSTRATIONS
Spaces -- A
great site with several lessons on probability, all of which are linked
to interactive experiments. Topics include: Random Experiments, Sets and
Events, Functions and Random Variables, Probability Measures, Conditional
Probability, Independence, and Convergence. Experiments include: Coin
Sample Experiment, Buffon's Coin Experiment, Dice Sample Experiment, Dice
Experiment, Card Sample Experiment, Die-Coin Experiment, Coin-Die Experiment
Homer Probability Game -- A
simple but fun probability game, where Homer Simpson may - or may not
- fall off a cliff! Good animation and sounds, and a challenging probability
Make a Deal Applet -- A
cool probability game based on an age-old probability problem (known to
the modern world as "The Monty Hall problem.") Enjoy!
Puzzles -- Dozens
of cool puzzles (with answers provided) on probability!
Probability - Darts -- If
you have the Shockwave plug-in, you can use this cool probability demo:
"Manipulate the size of the circle and a rectangle to explore the
probability that a dart thrown into the rectangle will land in the circle."
Birthday Problem -- A
classic problem in probability! "There's a birthday in your class
today! Or will there be two? How likely is it that two people in your
class have the same birthday?" Find out here!
Cereal Box Problem
classic probability problem! In order to solve this problem, you will
need to determine theoretical probabilities to determine an expected value.
Links to other fun problems
an Asteroid Hit the Earth? -- Entertaining
FAQ from Dr. Math which seeks to determine the likelihood of an asteroid
hitting the earth.
of Two Male Children -- Entertaining
FAQ from Dr. Math which seeks to determine the likelihood of the birth
of two male children.
With the Counting Principle -- Five
great online problems to help with counting principle concepts!