IN-SITES for TEACHING ENGLISH LANGUAGE LEARNERS
The challenge and opportunity facing urban educators in particular, and society in general, is interwoven with the destiny of increasing numbers of students struggling to learn English while mastering academic content. A seminal issue for our age, this challenge speaks to both individual and social transformation--integration without rejection on both interpersonal and intrapersonal levels. Known as the Duversity, this opportunity is to face and conquer our inner fears and obstacles to empowerment, through inner integration without rejection, and to follow the same path outwardly, transforming social institutions in order to integrate and empower biliterate Americans who have learned to read their worlds, as well as the word.
We are a nation of immigrants. Currently the largest and fastest growing segment of new Americans are those from Hispanic backgrounds. Our city schools, both locally and nationally, now average over 50% Hispanic/Latino. My high school, Panorama High School, is nearly 90% Hispanic/Latino. The ethnic make-up of the teaching profession is hardly one-tenth of that (5% Hispanic). Consider the implications of this, and use these links to prepare yourself to make an impact, especially via sites 1, 2 and 3!
- *1*English Language Learners in Mainstream Classrooms - Sheltered Instruction: A major concept for working with English Language Learners and communicating with their parents. Use this with the next site that will allow any teacher or learner to get an instant Spanish translation of any text, up to four pages at a time, or web site! Texts, or portions of texts, can be scanned and translated, tests, etc.
- *1*FreeTranslation.com -- Free translation of web sites and text for Spanish, French, and German to English and English to Spanish! AMAZING!!
- *1*LEARNING STRATEGIES** -- An important part of effective biliteracy and sheltered instruction strategies
- *1*COOPERATIVE and COLLABORATIVE LEARNING -- Effective with all subjects and levels, team learning is a particularly strong supporting strategy in working with English Language learners.
*1*I TEACH/I LEARN**
- *1*JIM CUMMINS' WEB DEALING WITH SECOND LANGUAGE LEARNING AND LITERACY DEVELOPMENT**
- James Crawford's Language Policy Web Site & Emporium
- *1*An Outline of CALLA: Cognitive Academic Language Learning Approach**
- *1*A Road Map for Effective Biliteracy Instruction**
- *1*READING MATTERS!** -- Literacy for ALL
- *1*MORA'S MODULES*** -- on-line course modules for teaching cross-language literacy! Awesome!
- Second-language Reading and Biliteracy Instruction Bibliography
- Effective Schooling Practices for
Language Minority Students -- A Bibliography
- LANGUAGE ASSESSMENT: What It Measures & How**
- The Center for Applied Linguistics: Current Projects
- ESL Standards for Pre-K-12 Students, Online Edition
- Issues in Freirean Pedagogy -- Excellent primer on liberatory, empowering education
- Florida Administrative Code - CHAPTER 6A-6.009
Special Programs for ELL Students
- PASO PARTNERS: INTEGRATING MATH, SCIENCE and LANGUAGE**
- HISPANIC MATH PROJECT**
- The National Society for Hispanic Professionals: Resources
LEARNING WITH FUN IN BILINGUAL ED.
- DAVE'S ESL CAFE
- COMPUTERS IN ACTION -- Learning word processing in an ESL/ESOL setting!
- PLANET ENGLISH
Activities for ESL Students -- Quizzes, Crossword Puzzles, Web Treasure Hunts and more.
- EFL PLAYHOUSE
- THE TAIWAN TEACHER: IDEAS FOR ESL/TESOL
TESL/TEFL/TESOL/ESL/EFL/ESOL Links** -- Links of Interest to students and teachers of English as a Second
RESOURCE COLLECTIONS FOR BILINGUAL ED
- SPAIN AND SPANISH ON THE NET**
- National Clearinghouse for English Language Acquisition & Language ...
- LESSON PLANS & RESOUCES FOR BILINGUAL EDUCATION
- Internet TESL Journal [Lesson Plans & Activities]
- BILINGUAL ED/ESL NET LINKS from About.com.
- BILINGUAL EDUCATION: POLICIES, PURPOSES & DEFINITIONS
- LINKS FOR BILINGUAL AND ESL EDUCATION
- ESL Links and Resources
- THE MOVIES, RACE, & ETHNICITY: Latinos
- National Council of LA RAZA: Topics
- ESTRELLITA: Accelerated Beginning Spanish for Latino Students
- PRIMARY EDUCATION (K-3) RESOURCES FOR BILINGUAL EDUCATORS
- LATINO RESOURCES ON THE NET
- The SPANISH and ESL Curriculum: Language & Culture
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT & BOOKS
- CENTER FOR STUDY OF BOOKS IN SPANISH FOR CHILDREN AND YOUTH
- CENTER FOR MULTILINGUAL, MULTICULTURAL RESEARCH
- Literacy Assessment Instruments for Diverse Learners
- IN-SITES for ASSESSMENT**
The TEACHER DEVELOPMENT NETWORK
We are available for consulting and other services.
All courses and web pages Copyright © 2008