IN-SITES FOR EARTH ECOLOGY
Is the environmental movement merely a fad, or does it point to real problems that we must learn to deal with? What are some things we can do to help "save our planet" right now?
These sites pertain to such questions and to the hope that future generations will not experience such worst-case scenarios as the population bomb, global warming, air and ocean pollution, destruction of rainforests and fisheries, and the rendering of earth as uninhabitable for our species.
Learning to think environmentally means recognizing that nothing happens without consequences, and that our species has difficulty foreseeing long-range multiple effects. A frog placed in hot water will struggle furiously to get out. The same frog placed in cold water which is then heated will remain calm until it is boiled alive. Like that frog, we notice abrupt changes, but have great difficulty sensing gradual change. We need the help of organizations and resources like these to raise our consciousness, while there is still time. These sites are for Science, Social Studies, English, Math--for all students and ourselves. Surf! Search! SURVIVE!!
- Extensive links for ecology/environment sites; great surfing!
- THE MINING COMPANY - ENVIRONMENT
- Selected sites in good variety of ecology areas
- LEARNING TO THINK ENVIRONMENTALLY While There Is Still Time by Lester W. Milbrath
- Brief, profound book, from Amazon.com, on key environmental topics; two other highly recommended books--Earth Book for Kids by Linda Schwartz (elementary level) and 160 Ways to Help the World by Linda Duper (secondary)
- E/THE ENVIRONMENTAL MAGAZINE
- Comprehensive site with articles, links, etc.
BUILDING COLLABORATIVE PROJECTS IN NETWORKED SCHOOLS
- The most recent from 25 years, over 2000 projects combining student and scientific expedition inquiries, as part of the Global Classroom for EARTHWATCH, an ecology organiztion in Watertown, MA
- THE AUDOBON SOCIETY
- Diverse listing of sites, links and organizations
- RAINFOREST ACTION NETWORK
- More links and educational resources
- EXPLORE THE GLOBE PROGRAM
- Educational site with school activities, particularly elem. and middle
- NATURAL CAPITALISM: CREATING THE NEXT INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION
- Downloadable chapters exploring the lucrative opportunities for businesses in an era of approaching environmental limits
- OCEAN PLANET
- Resources for students and educators
- A Utah environmental biologist's page of resources and many links
- EARTH DAY
- April 22nd--Resources, activities, links, state-by-state plans
- ENVIRONMENTAL EDUCATION WEB DIRECTORY!
- Gold mine of links to many sites.
The TEACHER DEVELOPMENT NETWORK
We are available for consulting and other services.
All courses and web pages Copyright © 2008